Monday, August 28, 2006

The Dark Side of Libby Montana


Oh yeah, I know what you are thinking.

"That Auto, she doesn't like ANY of those small little towns in NW Montana. She thinks they are all full of paranoid gun loving nuts. Here she goes, ragging on a nice little mountainous town, just because she is mean."

Oh geesh people. Two words - Libby Nordicfest.

As any other toe headed, freckled Northern Montanan chock full of Scandinavian heritage, the thought of a festival to celebrate our awesome Norwegian, Swedish or Finnish birthright sounded like one heck of a fun idea to me. Uff Duh!

That was until I found out that Nordicfest has a dark side. Oh gosh, it isn't all crafts, lefsa and rosettes, it is white supremacist. Oh, yeah, you betcha, those racists are scary.

Get back to Libby - I checked into my room and there was a poster advertising Nordicfest, there are pamphlets everywhere, it is damn close to the racist Idaho Panhandle, a little too close for me. They try to sell it as a place to showcase your Fjord horses and listen to the musical stylings of Sylvia & The Fjordsong Band, but I know the truth. Racists - Oh sure - you betcha!

Velkomen, my ass.

1 comment:

ThursdayNext said...

Geez. A dark, swarthy Armenian like me wouldnt last a day around these Nordiacs. I wish I could take Nordiacs seriously, but their cuisine just sucks. Not that I don't love the Swedish chef on the Muppet Show, but I think smoked salmon is overrated. Sorry for the rant, but I don't really get how Scandanavian Cuisine counts as a cuisine. Like, there is a show on PBS Create called Scandenavian Cooking and its like how to pickle fish ten ways on five episodes. Blech.